As part of our commitment to Greening the Mela, we’d like to encourage you to consider taking sustainable transport to this year’s festival.
Walk or cycle
Walking or cycling is the most sustainable and healthy way to travel to our event! Check out the following links for routes, journey planners and distance calculators (click on site names for links):
- Cycle Streets: Cycle route journey planner that displays maps, journey time, distance, calories and CO2 avoided
- Walkit: Urban walking route planner that displays maps, distance, time, calories and CO2 saved.
Take a bus
Leith Links is easily accessible by bus. Why don’t you leave the car at home and save the hassle of traffic and parking while reducing your carbon footprint? Check out your bus travel options:
- Lothian Buses: Service 21 goes straight to Leith Links, while services 1, 12, 25, 34, 35 and 49 all go nearby, and we’re a five-minute walk away from the foot of Leith Walk, where you can also catch services 7, 10, 14, 16 and 22. For timetables, maps and live bus stop departures see www.lothianbuses.com or call 0131 555 6363
- Scottish Citylink: For express coach services from cities and towns across Scotland see www.citylink.co.uk or call 0871 266 3333
- Traveline Scotland: For Scotland-wide public transport timetables, journey planners and smartphone apps see www.travelinescotland.com or call 0871 200 2233
Take the train
If traveling from outside Edinburgh city hop on a train to Edinburgh Waverly where you can catch a direct bus from the city centre to Leith Links. Here are your train travel options:
- Scotrail: For Scottish timetables and tickets see http://www.scotrail.co.uk/ / Tel. 0845 755 0033
- National Rail Enquiries: For UK timetables and tickets see www.nationalrail.co.uk / Tel. 0845 748 4950
Share a car
Save some cash and reduce your carbon footprint by sharing your car journey. Register your car with a car-sharing initiative or connect with registered user who is doing a similar journey. Click on the names for some great car-sharing options.
- goCarShare Allows you to hire out spare seats in your car or find a user doing a similar journey. Type in Edinburgh Mela Festival to see who’s driving there, offer a spare seat or request a lift
- TripshareEdinburgh Allows you to search for members doing similar journeys. It can match car journeys, taxi journeys, cycle and walking routes. It can be used for Edinburgh journeys or for trips throughout Scotland and the rest of the UK