Our volunteer teams are one of the most important parts of the Mela. It’s a fantastic opportunity to be part of the team making this amazing event happen. Besides that we’ll let you in for free, it looks great on your CV and you’ll make a whole bunch of new friends!
We’re looking for enthusiastic, friendly volunteers, who are available on Friday 30th, Saturday 31st August and Sunday 1st September. So if you can spare a few days and a looking for a fun summer experience, read on to find out more…
You will be able to meet new people, build up your experience, share your skills and develop new skills, be involved behind-the-scenes in a major event and see some exciting shows.
What will I receive?
- A volunteer training session, which will give you a chance to meet your volunteer colleagues
- Travel expenses to and from the Festival
- A meal per shift plus refreshments from our hospitality area
- 2 complimentary day tickets
- An invitation to the opening event on Friday 30th August and a free ticket to the Mela closing party on Sunday 1st September
- A limited edition Mela t-shirt
- You will be able to ask for a reference on successful completion of your volunteer post
How long will each volunteer shift be?
Shifts will last approximately 6 hours. You will have a break during your shift.
How old to I have to be?
You have to be 16 years old or over to apply.
How do I apply?
The first step is to read over the volunteer role descriptions below and choose which one you think would suit you best. Then please email or write to the address below including:
- your CV
- a contact telephone number of a referee
- a short covering note (stating your availability, role choice and why you think you would be suitable)
Antonia Dickson, The Edinburgh Mela, Unit 14, Abbeymount Techbase, 2 Easter Road, Edinburgh, EH7 5AN
Telephone: 0131 661 7100/07870 621 086
The deadline for all opportunities is Sunday 11th August 2013
What happens next?
If you are successful, then you will be invited in for a short, informal interview to talk more about the volunteer role. You MUST be available on one of the following dates for this interview. Your interview will last 15 – 20 minutes.
- Tues 20th, Wed 21st and Thurs 22nd August (interview slots will be from 10am – 7pm on the above dates)
After your interview you will be invited in for an obligatory 2-hour training session:
- on Tues 27th or Wed 28th August (one will be during the day, the other in the evening)
Artist Liaison Volunteers
This role involves supporting the festival artists with the following:
- Welcoming artists & handing out passes
- Answering queries, responding to requests & giving directions
- Ensuring artists have correct event information
- Assisting with refreshments & food for artists
- Setting up dressing rooms & keeping them tidy
- Liaising between artists & production/ stage team
- Running and general production duties
The majority of this role will be based at the check-in desk, where you will be meeting and greeting artists, ensuring they have the correct passes and showing them to the dressing rooms. You should be friendly and approachable and enjoy working in a busy festival environment.
For this role, you are required to volunteer on both Saturday and Sunday, morning/ afternoon or afternoon/ evening. Shift length = 6 hours.
Please note that places for this opportunity are limited and interviews will be offered to those with most experience.
Audience Services Volunteers
This is a customer-facing role, so you should be a friendly, approachable person who enjoys meeting new people. You will be involved in all or some of the following areas:
- Welcoming visitors, giving directions & information, checking wristbands, helping with fire safety procedures such as keeping the fire exits clear of people in the venues, litter picking, giving out Festival programmes and generally making sure visitors enjoy their Festival experience
- You could be volunteering at the Information Point, as Front of House in the Big Top, Mix Tent or new Dance Tent, at the Gates as a steward or in the Hospitallity area
- You could also be volunteering within the Children and Families Workshop Space, doing a front of house role or helping with workshops – please state if this is an area you’d be particularly interested in.
For this role, you are required to volunteer on both Saturday and Sunday, morning/ afternoon or afternoon/ evening. There may be opportunities to volunteer on Friday 3oth August for the event in the evening and Monday 2nd September for take down. Shift length = 6 hours.
Market Stalls Volunteers
You will be assisting the Stalls Manager with the food and craft market
- Welcoming and checking in market stall traders
- Allocating Festival passes
- Giving out information and directions
- Dealing with enquiries
You should be friendly, approachable and have experience with customer/ client service. You should enjoy working in a busy Festival environment.
For this role, you are required to volunteer on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, morning/ afternoon or afternoon/ evening. Shift length = 6 hours.
This is an excellent opportunity for people who want to help with the recycling aspect of the festival, an increasingly important area.
For this role, you are required to volunteer on Saturday and Sunday.
Assisting the Marketing Manager, obtaining audience feedback through surveys.
You should be friendly, with a confident manner and enjoy engaging with people. For this role, you are required to volunteer Saturday and Sunday.
Please note that the application deadline for all posts is Sunday 11th August 2013.
If you have any questions, please contact Antonia Dickson on the contact numbers/email above. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you!